Are you confused about diversity, inclusion and what it means in business? Are you looking to better understand the role of diversity and inclusion in building more robust teams and cultures? Are you looking to better understand the path to more diverse and inclusive organizations, teams, communities and lives?
Our special guest Jina Etienne answers these and other questions about diversity, inclusion and creating a culture of belonging.
Jina is a consultant and speaker on diversity, inclusion, culture and belonging. She creates training programs and workshops to help clients move forward in their D&I journey. She is a story-teller and speaks candidly about her experiences, hard lessons and ‘aha’ moments that helped her understand the importance of individuality, the value of curiosity and the courage it takes to “just” be yourself.
Jina is the Founder of Etienne Consulting, a boutique consulting firm that offers unique strategy development, workshops & coaching to leaders, executives and entrepreneurs. Jina is an accountant, had her own accounting firm, and has had leadership roles in various organizations including Director of Diversity and Inclusion for Grant Thornton, a national CPA firm.
Listen as Jina shares her wisdom and experience on leadership, diversity and inclusion.
The Impact Leadership Podcast is brought to you by Cardivera.com.
- Why we should separate the concepts of diversity and inclusion
- What does equity and belonging mean in organizations and teams
- Diversity and inclusion statements are important but not the solution
- Why “We’re hiring the best people” is not an adequate solution to creating more diversity and inclusion
- Diversity and inclusion is NOT about blaming and shaming (it’s about moving forward)
- The importance of hiring for thinking skills more than technical skills
- Diversity and inclusion is essential to have a culture that is dynamic, innovative and creative
- Diversity and inclusion changes often start with simply noticing
- The key is to make your organization safe for people of difference
- Before you diversity your business diversify your life
- Basic mindsets that are essential to enhance diversity and inclusion in your business and life
- Unconscious bias is the auto-pilot of our lives until we’re willing to address the biases
- The key role of intention in diversity and inclusion efforts
- Leaders must be able to effectively lead the entire team, not just certain people or types of people on the team
- The problem with asking target group team members to lead the diversity and inclusion efforts
- Diversity and inclusion initiatives often require an external voice and an internal champion
- The role of self-awareness in diversity and inclusion (and taking ownership of your impact)
- The vocabulary of diversity and inclusion (and its role in change)
- The role of grace and curiosity in diversity and inclusion conversations
- Change happens when we know better AND do better
- Millennials different view of diversity and inclusion
- Biases are not limited to people in the majority
- The importance of being intentional with your efforts to diversity your business and life
- Diversity requires exercising and building new muscles
- The importance to learning ways to navigate your fumbles and triggers around diversity and inclusion